I'll have to break up my thoughts in a bunch of posts. Ed Parker started us all off with a great plenary talk. Some thought-provoking points:
- "The curriculum isn't the most important thing in learning."
- In IBL instruction, we're listening rather than talking. This gives us many more opportunities to assess where students are at.
- You have to be willing to turn negative attitudes about math into a positive through skillful, effective coaching.
- An IBL instructor should think about what foundation is accessible to my students that they can build on.
- Every class is an opportunity for students to engage in ever increasing rigor (for them).
We're off an running!
Today is day 2. Lots going on. In a few months we'll have videos of all the sessions on the AIBL Youtube Channel.